Selected Professional Appointments
- Professor, Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering, University of Toronto
- Director, University of Toronto Transportation Research Institute
- Research Director, Data Management Group, University of Toronto
- Research Director, Travel Modelling Group, University of Toronto
- Director, Mobility Network at the School of Cities
Professor Eric J. Miller is Past Chair of the U.S. Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Travel Behavior and Values, Member Emeritus of the TRB Transportation Demand Forecasting Committee and Past Chair of the International Association for Travel Behaviour Research (IATBR). He served on the US National Academy of Sciences Committee for Determination of the State of the Practice in Metropolitan Area Travel Forecasting. He has chaired or been a member of numerous travel demand modelling peer review panels throughout North America. He is the recipient of the 2009 Wilbur S. Smith Distinguished Educator Award from the Institute of Transportation Engineers, the inaugural winner of the University of British Columbia Margolese National Design for Living Award (2012), the 2018 IATBR Lifetime Achievement Award and the 2020 Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering Safwat Zaky Research Leader Award. He is the developer of GTAModel, an advanced regional travel demand modeling system used by municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) to forecast travel demand that is based on TASHA, a state-of-the-art agent-based microsimulation model of activity and travel, and ILUTE, an integrated land use-transportation model system for the GTA.
Specialty Focus Areas
Agent-based microsimulation modelling methods; analysis of transportation-land use interactions; development and applications of disaggregate travel choice models; sustainable transportation planning; analysis of transit demand.
Phone: (416) 978-4076
- IATBR Lifetime Achievement Award Lecture, July 19, 2018. Professor Eric Miller presents “Travel Demand Models, the Next Generation: Boldly Going Where No-One Has Gone Before.”
- Big Data, Better Transportation Planning, TVO’s The Agenda with Steve Paikin, October 25, 2017. Professor Eric Miller interviewed on how big data and phone apps can better inform transportation planning in the Greater Golden Horseshoe area.
- IBM Canada’s Research and Development Centre’s One Year Anniversary, 2013. Professor Eric Miller speaks about the ILUTE (Integrated Land Use, Transportation, Environment) Modelling System.